405 Ottawa Street – Ornoff-Daye House
The 1928 Ornoff-Daye House is located in the Holloway Street Historic District in Durham, North Carolina. The house was erected in 1928 by brother Ernest H. and Marshall V. Lawrence, who operated the home as a rental property. The earliest known resident is Isaac Ornoff and his wife Rebecca who occupied the house from 1929 to 1937. Isaac, a Russian immigrant, was the proprietor of a local auto parts store. Residents changed frequently in the 1940s and 1950s, but by 1966 Cephus and Maybell Daye moved into the house. Cephus was employed in the construction industry, working for George W. Kane. While Cephus died in 1989, his wife remained in the house until her death in 1996.
The house was fully renovated in 2009 with updated systems throughout and contemporary kitchen and bathroom. Floors and trim were refinished throughout the interior. Vinyl siding and three layers of roofing material were removed; a new roof was installed and exterior woodwork and windows were repaired as needed and re-painted. The homeowners received State Historic Preservation Tax Credits for the rehabilitation and the contractor, Synergy Entreprises, received a 2010 Neighborhood Conservation Award for the project.