Hillsborough Historic District
The Hillsborough Historic District was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and includes all of the resources within the original square plat of the town as well as a number of properties south of the Eno River. The nomination was updated in 1984 to include archeological context and in 1989 the period of significance was extended to 1939 to include all of the pre-World War II development in the town. Additional surveys of the district were completed in 1995 and 2006.
The current project will provide additional documentation for the 1973 National Register listing and will include a full survey of the approximate 608 parcels within the existing boundary. The survey will include digital photographs of all buildings, full written descriptions of each building, a digital survey file for each property, and updated paper files for the State Historic Preservation Office archives in Raleigh. Additional context will be provided for development between 1939 and the early 1960s and the period of significance for the district will be extended based on this context.
The fieldwork portion of the survey has been completed and the National Register nomination is in draft form.